Sunday, February 12, 2012

Is Soy That It Was Lead to Be?

Soy has many effects. If soy isn't organic, then most likely it is Genetically Modified, so it's important to only eat organic. But there are also other health concerns with soy.

Other studies have found that eating soy:

- Increases the risk of breast cancer in women

- Causes brain damage in both men and women

- Causes abnormalities in infants

- Contributes to thyroid disorders because it's high in isoflavones

- Causes food allergies

- Weakens the immune system

- Causes kidney stones

- Is linked to malnutrition

- Causes digestive stress

- Causes cognitive decline

- Increases the risk of reproductive disorders and infertility

Soy contains phytoestrogens that mimic the effect of the female hormone estrogen. Drinking 2 glasses of soy a day can alter a women's menstrual cycle. With infants on a soy infant formula it can be equivalent to that child receiving five birth control pills worth of estrogen every day. Soy products that are OK are the ones that are properly fermented such as natto, miso and tempeh; it's the unfermented soy products that aren't good. I've struggled with this one myself because I don't like milk. I do like buffalo milk and goats but I can't get organic near me and quite frankly I have tried all other alternatives such as oat and rice milk and I too wonder what new research is going to come out about those milks as soy was once believed to be the wonder milk. The only time I have a milk product is with my quinoa porridge which I eat about 2-3 times a week, so what I do is mix it up. One week I'll have soy and then other weeks I'll have something different, that way I won't be having a lot of it. What's important is that you don't have much. Children shouldn't have it and young women wanting to get pregnant should avoid it.
About this Author

For more health information check out my free ebook The 7 dieting disasters

For Health and Wellbeing products or Nutrition and Health information go to her website




No comments:

Post a Comment